Sunday, January 8, 2012

Biggest Loser "Broke Bean Stew"...thanks Val and Victoria!

Val, a friend of mine from a weight loss group that I belong to on Facebook, posted about this recipe from "The Biggest Loser" cookbook. I love soups and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to make it. Instead of the spinach that is in the recipe I used kale and red chard. Both are full of nutrients, you can read about kale here: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the-truth-about-kale and about red chard here:http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/swiss-chard-9-healthy-facts. I used about 6 cups of each and put it in at the end and let it cook about a hour more. Also the recipe called for two cans of fire roasted tomatoes. I used one can of those and a can of Rotel Mexican Tomatoes & Green Chilies. The beans I used were a can of black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans and a can of lima beans that I added at the end. I tried to use low sodium on as much as I could find. Here is a link to the original recipe.http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/exclusives/nutrition/healthy-eating/
 Well as every good southerner knows, you have to have cornbread with a meal like this. I have tried different recipes, but this is what I have come up with to make a good lower calorie and lower fat pone of cornbread. I am not of the sweet cornbread persuasion, so you will not find in sugar in this one. You will only find that in the Ice Tea, and then its Splenda or Sweet N Low for me!

Here's the recipe for the cornbread.                       

2 cups cornmeal
3/4 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp veg oil
1/4 cup egg beater 
Add water as needed to thin batter. Preheat oven to 375. Add oil to a 9x9 baking pan. Place on oven till it just sizzles. Mix dry ingredients. Add egg beater and milk. Mix. Add about 3/4 of hot oil to batter and mix. Add just enough water if needed to thin batter. Pour in pan place in oven for about 20-25 min. Until brown on top. Makes 12 servings. 121 calories 3.5 grams fat fiber is roughly 1.5 grams.


Another friend from the group, Victoria  gave the recipe its name "Ashley's Kentucky Cornbread".She even put it on her blog as well.http://eat2.blog.com/ Thanks Victoria!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, again. It was my pleasure. I was impressed by what you guys are doing. I look forward to your future of many posts here!

    ReplyDelete